Looking for scholarship?


Sunday, February 3, 2008

How To Get A Scholarship To A UK University

There are many sources of funding if you want to study in the UK. The British Government and other UK organisations provide a number of scholarships and awards for international students.

A. Who should I approach?

1. Start with your own Ministry or Department of Education. It should be able to give you information about the funding available.

2. The British Council. They may have an office in your own country and will tell you about the relevant schemes.

3. If there's no British Council locally, try the British Embassy or High Commission.

B. How Do I Apply?

1. Many grant-making organisations have strict requirements which you must meet so read the conditions carefully.

2. Apply for your grant at least one year before the start of your course and make sure you know the deadline for applying.

3. Fill in the application form clearly and concisely. Use the grant-making body's application form if there is one.

Useful tip: The grant-making bodies usually award only small amounts of money, which will not cover the full cost of tuition fees and living expenses, so make sure you have enough money for your fees and living needs. It's nearly impossible to organise financial help once you're here and you may be refused UK entry without proof of sufficient funds.

C. Scholarship Sources:

1. British Chevening Scholarships

2. Commonwealth Scholarship & Fellowships Plan (CSFP)
Funded by the Department for International Development and the Foreign & Commonwealth Office for citizens of a Commonwealth country or a British dependent territory.

3. British Marshall Scholarships
For US citizens under 26 years of age, graduated from a US university.

4. Charles Wallace Manchester Merit Award
Funded jointly by four of the region's universities, the Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust provides awards for one-year postgraduate students who are resident in Pakistan and have been accepted for a taught Masters course. For further information contact intoff@mmu.ac.uk

5. Fulbright Scholarships
Funded by the Department for Education & Employment and the US government. http://www.fulbright.co.uk/ or http://www.iie.org/

6. Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS)
For full-time postgraduate students undertaking research. Selection is by academic merit and research potential only, so you can apply whatever your nationality or finances. The grant will meet the difference between the home and overseas tuition fees, so you'll only have to pay home fees and your living costs. For further information contact Clare Holdcroft: C.Holdcroft@mmu.ac.uk

7. Royal Fellowships
For post-doctoral scientists undertake research in the UK.

8. Canon Foundation Research Fellowships to Europe and Japan
Research Fellowships to post-graduate European and Japanese researchers.

9. Council for Assisting Refugee Academics
CARA makes small grants to help refugee academics rebuild their lives and careers in the UK.

About the Author:

For a full advice about claiming a scholarship to a top UK university visit the 'Scholarships' page on the Manchester Metropolitan University website here: http://www.mmu.ac.uk/international/courses/scholarships.php