The ASEAN Foundation (AF) and the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) have entered into another agreement to develop high quality human resources within ASEAN member countries through the offering of the AF-AIT Scholarships.
The ASEAN Foundation, an initiative of the Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), was established on 15 December 1997 to help bring about shared prosperity and a sustainable future for the peoples of all ASEAN countries that now include Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Viet Nam. It has been mandated to promote greater awareness of ASEAN and greater interaction among its peoples and their increased participation in ASEAN activities as well as to undertake development cooperation activities that enhance mutual assistance, address equitable economic development and reduce poverty. This scholarship programme is part of the ASEAN Foundation Scholarships for Postgraduate Studies and funded through the Japan-ASEAN Solidarity Fund.
The Asian Institute of Technology, on the other hand, is an international post graduate institute founded in 1959, and is Asia’s pioneer institution established to help meet the region’s growing needs for advanced learning in engineering, science, technology and management, research and capacity building. AIT’s mission is to develop highly qualified and committed professionals who will play a leading role in the sustainable development of the region and its integration into the global economy. AIT is based in Thailand and has affiliated centers in other parts of the world.
Ten (10) full scholarships are available for ASEAN nationals who wish to pursue masters degree in AIT. The scholarship award will cover tuition and other academic fees, and living allowances for a 2-year programme.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a bonafide ASEAN national;
- Hold a bachelors degree (normally from a four-year program) or its equivalent in an appropriate field;
- Have above average undergraduate grades (minimum CGPA of 2.75); and,
- Satisfy other requirements as specified by the school you apply to.
- AIT is an international institute with English as the sole language of instruction. Admission to AIT requires proof of English language proficiency which may be satisfied in any of the following: Submission of an official test score from any of the following standardized English exams: TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, CU-TEP (Thailand), ARC (Lao PDR).
- Agree to return and/or serve for at least 2 years in any ASEAN countries after completion of their studies.
FIELD OF STUDIES
The scholarship can be taken in the following field of studies:
School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD)
- Agricultural Systems and Engineering
- Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management
- Environmental Engineering and Management
- Food Engineering and Bioprocess Technology
- Gender and Development Studies
- Natural Resources Management
- Pulp and Paper Technology
- Regional and Rural Development Planning
- Urban Environmental Management
- Cleaner Production
- Integrated Tropical Coastal Zone Management
- Integrated Watershed Development and Management
- Modelling Tools in Environmental Resources and Management
- Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation and Management
School of Engineering and Technology (SET)
- Construction, Engineering and Infrastructure Management (CEIM)
- Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering (GTE)
- Structural Engineering (STE)
- Transportation Engineering (TRE)
- Water Engineering and Management (WEM)
- Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)
For January intakes, application should be made on or before 21 December 2007. Deadline for August intake is on 31 March 2008.
For more information, please visit http://www.ait.ac.th/interimpage/ait_visitor/freepage/